I have been operating as an illustrator since 1984.
My early highlight commissions include caricatures for the entire Norwood Football Club, a prominent SANFL team, during their historic Grand Final Victory in 1984 and T-Shirt designs for Golden Breed, a prominent surf and sport clothing company.
Around 1985 I experimented with radical hand painted T-Shirts. I soon applied my abilities to the T-Shirt Print Industry, which was huge during the 1980’s where I served a traineeship in designing print ready art.
That same period I worked as a sign writer, working for myself and other sign writers. Both these fields were complementary in developing skills in Graphic Design, to create logos for commercial prints and signs/banners.
1986/87 was a renaissance period of productivity, producing a surf comic called Harvey Wavebanga for a few years for Waves Magazine in Sydney, Australia.
Since 1991 I have been commissioned by The Hyatt Regency in Coolum, Queensland as the regular caricature artist in the popular Village Square, during school holidays. This opened doors in the Entertainment sector as I now perform my caricature drawing skills live for events ranging from private parties to corporate conventions. Since then, this has been a primary focus in my services as an artist.
Highlights in this category of work includes commission by The Hamilton Island Resort, Queensland, A Summertime stint in Europe ’98 operating around the café terraces in Belgium, Holland, and England, for a working holiday, the Adelaide Fringe Festival and Woodford Folk Festival.
As a result of working in public, often under extreme pressure, I have developed my own funky line style I call speed hand, which I now teach as part of a syllabus in my own tailored drawing workshop program, aptly titled, ‘Teach Yourself to Draw’. The methods I teach are largely based on my own observations. This holistic approach has proved to be very effective, producing some amazing results, even in artistically inept students.
My style of illustration can be as diverse as a broad market demands such as my designs of edible landscapes for the Permaculture industry which has been a passion of mine since completion of the Permaculture Design Certificate. One obvious highlight being the front cover of author Bill Mollison’s, ‘Introduction to Permaculture’.
I have also produced private collections in fine art, which include a variety of themes ranging from Mystical and Ocean themes and Dadaism.
- 2015 Illustrator for the Permaculture Student Manual, designed by author Matt Powers to introduce children to Permaculture Principles.https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mattpowers/the-permaculture-student-1
- 2014 Cartoon Poster for Brisbane Homicide Squad to celebrate a milestone with the success of Operation Avow. The nearly 30 year investigation of the Whiskey A-Go-Go bombing of the 1970’s and the related arson attack on the Torino Nightclub.
- 2012 Earth Tree Logo and T-shirt design presentation for islPAL (International Society for Leadership in Pedagogies and Learning Inc.)
- 2011 Caricature Commission for TV Celebrities for Sky Channel Sports program.
- 2010 Safety Posters for Qld. Health
- 2003-2005 Risqué comic strips for bi Australian bi monthly magazine ‘Platinum Girls’. The character for the first comic is AussieHef loosely based on the actual proprietor of the magazine, satirising his exploits with the opposite sex.At the other extreme, the second comic, Mario Maguzzi, is the opposite, in that it satirises his lack of exploits with the opposite sex. He’s a middle age ‘has been’ with a ‘fat pizza’ genre, who thinks he’s still in the seventies.
- 2004- 2007 Risqué comic strips for bi-Australian bi-monthly adult magazine ‘Platinum Girls’. The character for the first comic is Aussie Hef loosely based on the actual proprietor of the magazine, satirising his exploits with the opposite sex. At the other extreme, the second comic, Mario Maguzzi, is the opposite, in that it satirises his lack of exploits with the opposite sex. He’s a middle age ‘has been’ with a ‘fat pizza’ genre, who thinks he’s still in the seventies.
- 2002-2007 Caricaturist and Cartoon Workshop operator at Novotel Twin Waters, Tourist Resort, Mudjimba, Queensland during the school holidays.
- 2000 Commission by B.H.P. to illustrate cartoons for their training manuals.
- 1998 Commission landscape and architectural illustrations for L.A.A.P. (Louisiana Army Ammunition Plant). This was a retrofit of a decommissioned ammunition plant to an eco-industrial facility and education centre. The initiative subsidised small businesses and incorporated Permaculture principles.
- 1998 ‘TASHATAK’. A private commission to create a series of dog cartoons to print as gift cards with a sardonic twist of humour and captions.
- 1998 Mural commission of the ‘Live Wire Bar’ for Conrad International Treasury Casino in Brisbane, Queensland.
- 1998 European summer caricature circuit, working in England, Belgium, Holland and France in public areas and festivals.
- 1998 & 2000 Caricature artist for Adelaide Fringe Festival. South Australia
- 1997 Banner cartoonist for National Union of Workers.
- 1996 Resident caricaturist at the ‘Hamilton Island Resort’ at The Whitsundays in Queensland.
- 1994 Tribal and Ocean Theme exhibition at the Byron Bay Piggery, NSW.
- 1992 Hype Art series exhibition at Art Base, Noosa Heads Qld. A series of Hi Tech Surf/Youth Culture paintings with a modern slant on Dadaism.
- 1992 T-Shirt commissions by ‘Shark Attack Clothing Co.’ depicting Habitat of the surrounding Noosa region.
- 1992 Front Cover illustration for author Bill Mollison’s, ‘Introduction to Permaculture’.
- 1991 – Present Cartoon Workshop facilitator for course titled ‘Teach Yourself to Draw’ at local and regional educational institutions. This is an easy method to learn to draw.
- 1991 & 2000 Caricaturist and workshops for Woodford Folk Festival.
- 1991-present Hyatt Regency Coolum, Queensland. Commissioning as regular caricaturist for the popular Village Square.
- 1991 Children’s book illustrations for Education Dept. incorporating a character professor called Professor Infomaniac.
- 1988-1989 Art director for ‘International Transfer Co.’ on the Gold Coast, Qld. Specialising in Up Market, Tourist and Commercial T-shirt Printing.
- 1986-1988 Graphic Artist for ‘Sol Screen’, t-shirt printing company specialising in habitat, surf/ski and commercial designs.
- 1986-1988 Created and published surf comic, ‘Harvey Wavebanga’ for Sydney based ‘Waves’ Magazine.
- 1985 -1986 Sign writer with own business ‘Sunsigns’ and ‘Noosa Signs’.
- 1985-1987 Hand painted t-shirt market stall at Eumundi Markets on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast. Style of art varied from ladies fashion to political to radical youth culture.
- 1984 Caricature commission for the Norwood Football Club in celebration of the Redlegs History Makers Grand Final Victory.
- 1984 T-Shirt designer for Golden Breed Clothing Co. Lonsdale, South Australia.